Tuesday 2 June 2009

Large White Pig

Sold


What a privilege! BPEX, the UK's official pork marketing body, has asked me to paint a watercolour for their annual awards ceremony.

The painting of a Large White will be presented to the winning producer in the Rare Breeds category.

I must say I was delighted with the way this one turned out (modest) but it's a fact, some paintings just work better than others. I used a large sheet of Arches paper and painted it very quickly. Brevity IS the key to successful watercolours, but why do I have to keep re-learning that truth?

This image will be available as a limited edition print soon, the latest print in my Pig Breeds Collection

I've got great sympathy for Britain's pig producers. Their animals are raised, quite rightly, under strict welfare rules and the meat they produce is of a high quality. But, our supermarkets prefer to import cheap pork, often falsely claimed to be British simply because it's packed here, produced from animals frequently raised under poor conditions. I don't know why we tolerate this. Pigs are far too intelligent and sensitive to be treated without care.

Rant over! The fact is pigs are great - especially our own fabulous rare breeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment